How can I report animal cruelty?

Issues regarding animal cruelty in Wood County are investigated by a Wood County Humane Officer, not the SWCHS. Reports of animal neglect or animal cruelty can be filed with the humane officer by contacting the Wisconsin Rapids Police Department (Wisconsin Rapids residents only) or by contacting the Wood County Sheriff’s Department (non-Wisconsin Rapids residents).

The police will contact the humane officer who will investigate the situation. If necessary, the humane officer will contact SWCHS to remove and/or provide temporary housing for the animal. The SWCHS is not allowed to investigate or remove an animal without the humane officer’s permission.