Executive Director Job Description
Classifications: Full Time, Exempt Position, Reporting to the Board of Directors
Job Summary: The Executive Director will plan, organize, and develop programs that meet the objectives of South Wood County Humane Society and seek opportunities to improve services and direct the day-to-day operations of the shelter. The Executive Director works closely with the Director of Animal Care to oversee all aspects of Animal Care and Personnel Management while having primary responsibility for the Business and Financial Management while upholding the shelter’s mission, vision, and values. Other key duties include the oversight, management and delegation of fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The Executive Director will be the shelter’s visible spokesperson and will have a unique opportunity to positively influence the community.
Responsibilities and Duties: The Executive Director’s duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Personnel Management
- Oversee all employees and volunteers including hiring, scheduling, conducting performance evaluations, and releasing.
- Oversee programs with other organizations in the community.
- Maintain operation manual and employee handbook.
- Work with Director of Animal Care regarding animal health issues, animal transport and euthanasia.
- Shelter operations
- Ensure exceptional customer service at shelter facility.
- In coordination with the Director of Animal Care oversee the ordering of supplies for facility and direct the ordering and stocking of retail inventory.
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of routine facility maintenance as well as direct the planning for large capital projects.
- Financial Management
- Oversee employee payroll.
- Maintain accounting of expenses and income and payment of quarterly sales tax.
- Development of and responsibility for an annual operating budget.
- Oversee yearly governmental contracts while maintaining and fostering relationships with Wood County municipalities.
- Serve as liaison to Board of Directors
- Prepare monthly reports to Board of Directors on shelter intake and adoption numbers plus other pertinent information for dissemination at Board of Directors meetings.
- Development of an annual report with Board of Directors.
- Oversee and delegate to appropriate staff and volunteers fundraising and pet adoption events which include:
- Grant writing, donation solicitation, and coordination of smaller fundraisers, including Vaccine & Microchip Clinic & Membership Drive.
- All fundraising committees, and special events work groups.
- Keeping the Board of Director appraised of all event progress
- Oversee the implementation of community outreach and public relations through delegation to appropriate staff and volunteers to include:
- Participation in weekly radio spot highlighting shelter.
- Creation and distribution of quarterly SWCHS newsletter.
- Development and expansion of educational and volunteer programs.
- SWCHS Friends group including scheduling meetings, creating agendas, sending meeting reminders, and distributing meeting minutes.
- SWCHS mailing list and thank you letters to donors.
- Fostering good relationships with local veterinarians and animal related businesses.
- Maintain partnerships with other community organizations.
- Online and print marketing including social media, email distribution, and shelter website updates.
Qualifications and Skills
- A Bachelor’s degree in a Business Administration or related discipline, or equivalent. education and experience in nonprofit management and/or animal welfare operations
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to build strong relationships.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to be flexible and able to adapt to the immediate or unforeseen challenges.
- Personnel management and development skills, including volunteers.
- Superb computer skills, particularly MS Word and Excel and accounting programs
- Familiarity with multiple social media platforms.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as strong public speaking skills.
The Board of Directors has assigned a committee to review all submissions. Interested applicants should email all documents listed below, prior to February 15, 2019, for employment consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Resume of Qualifications/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter addressed to: SWCHS Board of Directors.
- Salary Requirements
- Three (3) professional references