South Wood County Humane Society is heavily dedicated to making sure that our animals, volunteers, staff, and community are safe and healthy. This page will provide updates during this time. We thank everyone for their patience!
What Can You Do To Help During This Time?
- In order to make sure our animals have the best care possible, our mission is to get all of our animals into their forever homes. Adopting is the biggest thing you can do to help during this time. Please take a look at our animals currently up for adoption here. Interested in adopting? Check out our adoption application here. Currently, adoptions will be through appointment only. Please call 715-423-0505 to schedule an appointment.
- Because of the current pandemic, the amount of donations have gone down. We understand that this is a tough time for everyone, and we appreciate everything that is donated. We are asking the community for support during this time for our animals. We want to make sure they are receiving the best care, and we hope you can us. If you are interested in monetary donations, please click here. If you are interested in physical donations, please check out our list here. If you would like to support us through amazon on our wishlist, make sure you click here. Make sure you add us as your charity on Amazon Smile while you are online shopping!
- If you are interested in giving our animals a temporary home during this time, please consider fostering with SWCHS! By fostering, you will be helping free up the shelter for animals that need emergency services. Not only will you be helping the shelter, you would be helping out our animals. If you are considering fostering, please click here!
Current Updates for SWCHS
Safer At Home Order
As Wisconsin has opened up, SWCHS has decided to stick to appointment only for the time being. We will be updating the community on when we will be reopening. Also, we will have new plans and procedures in place for when we do reopen.
5K9 Run & Walk is going VIRTUAL!
South Wood County Humane Society would like to start off by thanking the community for their support of our 5K9 Run & Walk fundraiser. In light of COVID-19 and concerns about the community’s safety, we have decided to cancel the in-person event for the year. SWCHS considered postponing the event due to the fact it is one of our biggest fundraisers for the year, but upon reflection, felt that the safest way to keep everyone healthy was to cancel the in-person event.
We may be cancelling the in-person event, but we are moving virtual!
Even though we may not be holding the event in-person, you can still get outside, walk your dog, and support SWCHS at the same time. We know some of you may be asking, “how will this work?” Between May 9th and May 13th, go outside and walk with (or without) your furry companion in order to support SWCHS! Everyone registered will be shipped an exclusive t-shirt after the event! Also, everyone registered who submits a screenshot of their time and mileage will be entered to win a special raffle basket donated by BowWow Meow! Below is what this virtual event requires from you.
Required from you:
- Register to participate on active.com for $27 (shipping included for t-shirt): https://endurancecui.active.com/new/events/68072652/select-race?_p=43622160007120425
- Download a running app on your phone like WoofTrax – WoofTrax directly supports shelters and SWCHS is one of the options! If you would like to download a different app, you can download Run Tracker, Map My Run, Runkeeper, Nike Run Club, etc.
- Walk or Run 5K (3.1 Miles) anywhere between May 9th – 13th (backyard, around town, around/outside your house, etc.)
- Take a screenshot of walk/run time and mileage and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org or our facebook messenger. Make sure to include your full name along with your screenshot. All screenshots are due on May 13 by 6pm!
Anybody who has already registered will be contacted for more information about moving virtual.
*Before participating in this virtual event, please make sure to keep social distance if you choose to leave your property, avoid close contact, to wash your hands often, cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others, cover coughs and sneezes properly, and to clean and disinfect used items after this virtual event. If you are feeling sick, please stay home. For more precautions, please take a look at the CDC’s recommendations.*
Again, we would like to thank you and we look forward to seeing you in-person at next year’s 5K9 Run & Walk. We hope you can join us this year virtually! If you have any questions or concerns please contact South Wood County Humane Society at 715-423-0505.
South Wood County Humane Society services will be by appointment only. Services include: adoptions, fosters, surgeries, and donation drop-offs. To schedule an appointment or if you have any questions, please call 715-423-0505. We can assure you that our staff is currently following protocol and wearing gloves while working with community members. We are asking for your cooperation, flexibility and kindness during this time.
New Hours for Answering Phone Calls: 9am – 3pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday
If you would like to donate during this time, please see the donate tab on our website or check out our Amazon Wishlist! We appreciate the community for all you do!
FAQs – If you have any other questions, please call SWCHS at 715-423-0505.
“Are you still doing adoptions?”
Yes! We are still adopting out our animals by appointment only. This is to ensure that we are limiting the amount of bodies in the building at one time. ONLY 1 PERSON PER FAMILY IS ALLOWED IN THE BUILDING. If you are interested in adopting one of our animals, please fill out our adoption form here.
“Are surgeries still happening?”
Surgeries are still happening according to your scheduled date. If you have a scheduled surgery date and have questions, please contact SWCHS 715-423-0505.
“Can SWCHS take stray animals during this time?”
Yes, although we are taking in strays by appointment only. If you have a stray animal, please check out our lost and found page here.
“Can SWCHS take surrenders during this time?”
SWCHS is only taking in surrenders under emergency circumstances. Please call 715-423-0505 if you have an emergency situation and need to surrender your animal.
“Are you still taking in donations during this time?”
YES! We are accepting monetary and supply donations. If you are interested in donation monetarily, please click here. If you want to drop off a supply donation, we have a table set up outside the shelter between 9am – 3pm. An employee will pick up those items throughout our open hours.
“Are you open to the general public?”
We are closed to the general public. People will not be allowed in the shelter unless they have an appointment to foster, adopt, or donate.
“Can we still volunteer during this time?”
Currently, our volunteer program is halted. If you are interested in volunteering in the future, please fill out a volunteer application here.