The shelter functions thanks to many volunteers. Volunteers work along our staff helping to care for our animals. Without the help of volunteers the shelter wouldn’t be able help over 1,000 homeless and unwanted pets each year.
Volunteer opportunities include:
– Dog Care – cleaning indoor & outdoor kennels & organizing dog room.
– Dog Interaction – walking, grooming & socializing dogs.
– Cat Care – cleaning cages, grooming, socializing & organizing cat room.
– Foster Care – provide a temporary home for an animal recovering from medical trauma, pregnant moms, moms & newborns, orphans, seniors or under-socialized pets. Learn more information about fostering. To become a foster, download the Foster Application.
– Laundry & Cleaning – keep shelter tidy & maintain laundry area.
– Groundskeeping – gardening, weeding & maintaining walking path.
– Maintenance – basic repairs, painting & carpentry.
– Pet Therapy – bring shelter pets to nursing & assisted living homes.
– Pet Photography – take pictures of animals for ID cards & website.
– Animal Transporter – drive shelter animals to off site locations.
– Friends Group – helping plan fundraisers, volunteer at events and share information about South Wood County Humane Society with networks.
– Obedience Training – teach shelter dogs commands & social skills.